This area is steeped in history and Canllefaes has been recorded as part of it.
The name Canllefaes (pronounced KAN-KLEV-ICE) is derived from Cant Llevas or Cant Llevarvas which, we are told, is translated as "The hundred cries on the field" - a battle or war cry.
In 1136 The Welsh led by Gruffydd ap Rhys ap Tewdwr defeated the Normans at the battle of Crug Mawr here at Penparc, The Normans fled back to Pembrokeshire across the old wooden bridge at Cardigan in such numbers that they caused it to collapse.
In 1165 Lord Rhys ap Gruffydd confirmed the lands north of the road to Blaenporth, including Canllefaes, as part of the estate of the Priory at Cardigan.
In 1538 the Priory estate was transferred to Sir William Cavendish and then became the home of Thomas Philipps and his heirs. We have not yet discovered when Canllefaes was sold from the estate.
In 1808 an historian called Merrick wrote that a druidical monument called Llech yr ast (Bitches Stone) stands in a field called Cant Llevas.
The Ordinance Survey map of 1834 shows Cen-llyfas with a building layout very much as it is today.
From the 1841 and 1851 Census we know that Mrs Mary Makeig, a widow aged 65 farmed 57 acres at Canllevas or Canllevaes; and so, through various families of farmers, to 1977 when John and Sue Leigh bought the farmhouse and buildings together with the remaining 3 acres and started converting the rather neglected buildings into their home and the cottages.
In April 2006 Robert and Lynne Mansfield, together with their six children, Amy, Georgia, Sadie, Ruth, Joseph and Benjamin moved into Canllefaes from Oldham near Manchester to start a new life in this beautiful place.